Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: For Determination
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
The subject of the decision:
This report presented the findings and recommendations of the Scrutiny Committee on the Policy Review ‘Promoting Economic Vitality, including Markets’ for consideration.
Alternative options considered:
The reason for the decision:
To take account of the recommendations of the Scrutiny Committee.
(1) the Committee endorses the initiatives in delivering the Council’s key priority ‘Driving Economic Vitality’ as detailed within the Council Plan;
(2) the Committee supports the continued collaborative working with stakeholders, businesses and traders working towards building more vibrant towns;
(3) the success of projects identified within the individual Vibrant Market Towns Investment Plans be assessed after six months of their implementation or such other period as appropriate;
(4) the issues regarding empty shops be monitored and an assessment of the new initiatives to encourage occupation by new traders be provided after six months of their implementation or such other period as appropriate;
(5) continued communication with market traders and the organisers of farmers markets be undertaken in order to encourage new traders and the reinstatement of the farmers markets within the market towns;
(6) the opportunities presented by hosting major sporting events and other bespoke events such as festivals and seasonal markets continue to be explored and implemented; and
(7) continued improvements to communications on the support offered to businesses be explored.
Reason Key: Affects more than 2 wards;
Wards Affected: (All Wards);
Other reasons / organisations consulted
Contact: Gary Nelson, Director of Law and Governance (Monitoring Officer) Email: email@example.com.
Report author: Louise Hancock
Publication date: 13/03/2019
Date of decision: 12/03/2019
Decided at meeting: 12/03/2019 - Cabinet
Effective from: 26/03/2019