Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: For Determination
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: No
The subject of the decision:
Within the Council Plan, 2019-23, ‘Thirsk and Sowerby Leisure Centre Improvements’ were identified as a key project. This project was part of the Council’s strategy to invest in leisure facilities across the district. This report sought approval for delivery of a scheme of improvements at Thirsk and Sowerby Leisure Centre, and the submission of a planning application at the relevant time.
Alternative options considered:
The options considered were set out in the report.
The reason for the decision:
Cabinet was satisfied that preferred option to refurbish and extend the Thirsk and Sowerby Leisure Centre would provide an improved community facility in line with the Council’s priority Enhancing Health and Wellbeing.
That Cabinet approves and recommends to Council:-
(1) that the preferred option to refurbish and extend the centre be approved as described in paragraph 1.11 of the report;
(2) the preferred option is funded as described in section 4.0 of the report;
(3) the financing of the scheme is delegated to the Director of Finance and Commercial (S151 Officer) as detailed in paragraph 4.6 of the report;
(4) Alliance Leisure Services Ltd is commissioned to deliver this project including the undertaking of a exercise to determine the cost certainty before commencement;
(5) subject to the limits of flexibility set out in paragraph 1.14 of the report, the Chief Executive in consultation with the Leader is authorised to approve the project following the cost certainty exercise;
(6) monitoring and review of project delivery is undertaken by Management Team, with regular update reports provided to Council Members; and
(7) a planning application is submitted.
Declarations of Interest
Councillor M S Robson declared a personal interest as Chairman of the Thirsk and Sowerby Flatts Preservation Trust and also as Chairman of the Thirsk and Sowerby Swimming Baths Charity. Councillor Robson left the meeting at 9.58am prior to any discussion or voting on the above item.
Councillor P R Wilkinson in the chair.
Councillor D B Elders (in attendance) declared a non-pecuniary interest as a member of the Thirsk and Sowerby Flatts Preservation Trust during discussion of the above item.
Councillor M S Robson returned to the meeting at 10.18am prior to any discussion and voting on the following item.
Councillor M S Robson in the chair.
Reason Key: Expenditure > £50,000;
Wards Affected: Sowerby and Topcliffe Ward; Thirsk Ward;
Other reasons / organisations consulted
Contact: Steven Lister, Director of Leisure and Communities Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Report author: Steven Lister
Publication date: 30/07/2020
Date of decision: 28/07/2020
Decided at meeting: 28/07/2020 - Cabinet