Venue: Council Chamber, Civic Centre, Stone Cross, Northallerton
Contact: Democratic Services Officer 01609 767015
To confirm the minutes of the meeting held on 15 May 2018 (C.38 – C.41) and the Annual Meeting of Council held on 15 May 2018 (C.1 – C.5), attached.
That the minutes of the meeting held on 15 May 2018 (C.38 - C.41) and the Annual Meeting of Council held on 15 May 2018 (C.1 – C.5), previously circulated, be signed as correct records.
Date of Meeting Minute Nos
5 June 2018 CA.1
3 July 2018 CA.9 – CA.16
The Leader made a statement to Council on the following matters:-
· The late Mr Barry Dodd, CBE – the Leader paid tribute to the work Mr Barry Dodd, CBE had carried out in relation to his role as Chairman of the LEP and that Mr Dodd had supported many projects within the District through the Authority and further afield. The District Council had been very fortunate to receive funding from the LEP for many projects. A memorial service would be held on Friday, 20 July 2018 in York Minster in remembrance of Mr Barry Dodd, CBE.
· Dalton Bridge – funding had been received from the LEP for this project which had now been completed and was fully open. This would provide greater opportunities for lots of businesses within the District and further afield.
· C4Di (Centre for Digital Innovation) – LEP funding of £1.8 million would be received to assist with this project on the new Treadmills site.
· An additional meeting of Cabinet had been held regarding the possible acquisition of the former Lambert Hospital. It was expected that, as and when the Minister signed off the purchase, there would be public meetings and Members’ seminars to provide further information on the way forward.
The Leader moved Cabinet minute CA.1 and CA.9 to CA.15, subject to
a minor typographical amendment to Cabinet minute CA.9, 2017/18 Capital and Treasury Management Outturn Position, recommendation (3) by replacing the words “from 2016/17 programme to 2017/18” with “from 2017/18 programme to 2018/19”.
The Leader moved an amendment to Cabinet minute CA.16, Treadmills Phase 1 - Commercial Opportunity, recommendation (1) (a) with the deletion of the words ‘subject to the outcome of the bidding process’.
The reasons for this amendment were outlined as follows:-
(1) the company (Central Northallerton Development Company Limited) would give the Council the opportunity to make an offer and negotiate for Phase 1 of the Treadmills development before it went on the market;
(2) this would give the Council the advantage of being able to negotiate with the company without any competition and could avoid the Council getting into a bidding war;
(3) to ensure the Council achieved best value, two further independent valuations would be obtained (giving three in total) to provide confidence that the Council’s offer was at the right level;
(4) if the Council’s offer was not accepted it would still have the opportunity to match the best bid received by the company, as a result of marketing the development, subject to the figures recommended by Cabinet in the confidential report; and
(5) this change to the Cabinet recommendation therefore gave the Council two opportunities to purchase rather than one, before the bidding process started or after the bidding process had been completed.
That the reports, resolutions and recommendations of the following meetings of the Cabinet be received, approved and adopted:-
Declaration of Interest
Councillor P ... view the full minutes text for item C.7
(a) Councillor P R Wilkinson, Portfolio Holder for Economic Development and Finance made a statement on progress on the Dalton Bridge and Treadmills development; the 2018/19 Capital Outturn and Annual Treasury Management review; the 2017/18 Revenue Outturn and position on reserves and Revenues and Benefits.
(b) Councillor Mrs B S Fortune, Portfolio Holder for Leisure made a statement on the Sowerby Sports Village; the Making a Difference Grants; dementia friendly leisure centres; an additional CCTV camera; consultation on a Public Space Protection Order for the Thirsk and Leeming Bar Industrial Estates and surrounding areas and the 2018 Sports Awards.
(c) Councillor Mrs I Sanderson, Portfolio Holder for Governance made a statement on ICT services; Customer Services and Communications and the programme of the Council to roll out LED lighting.
(d) Councillor D Webster, Portfolio Holder for Planning made a statement on progress of the Local Plan preparation and the Development Management service.
(e) Councillor S Watson, Portfolio Holder for Environmental Health, Waste and Recycling made a statement regarding route optimisation; recycling; garden waste; fly tipping enforcement; resources at Bridge End House; Stokesley welfare facilities; the Public Space Protection Order consultation at Thirsk Industrial Estate and Leeming and Coney Garth truck parking areas and the Environmental Health service.
Report of the Chief Executive
This report provided details on an urgent decision taken by Cabinet pursuant to Rule 16 of the Council’s Access to Information Rules (as set out in Part 4 of the Council’s Constitution) at a meeting held on 19 June 2018 regarding the possible acquisition of the Lambert Memorial Hospital, Sowerby.
That the urgent decision made by Cabinet at the meeting held on 19 June 2018 be noted.