Venue: Council Chamber, Civic Centre, Stone Cross, Northallerton
Contact: Democratic Services Officer 01609 767015
To confirm the minutes of the meeting held on 21 February 2017 (C.23 - C.29), attached.
That the minutes of the meeting held on 21 February 2017 (C.23 - C.29), previously circulated, be signed as a correct record.
Statement of the Leader and Referrals from Cabinet
There are no referrals from Cabinet.
There were no referrals from Cabinet.
The Leader made a statement to the Council on the following matters:-
· Hambleton had been placed 4th in the Country for the best place to live.
· North Northallerton Development Project – the Leader announced that work had now begun on the North Northallerton Development which was the biggest project the authority had undertaken. Timing was critical to ensure that funding from the LEP was received and all the relevant legal paperwork signed before 31 March 2017. The Leader wished to give special thanks to the Executive Director, Mick Jewitt and the other staff and Members that had worked tirelessly to ensure this project commenced on time. The Leader paid special tribute to Mick Jewitt who had gone above and beyond what would normally be expected.
· Grants for Hambleton Libraries – the Leader announced that each community library in Thirsk, Stokesley, Bedale, Great Ayton and Easingwold would be awarded £5,000 from the Authority’s ‘Making a Difference’ grant scheme. This grant would be awarded irrespective of any application for Discretionary Rate Relief.
A number of questions were asked based on the statement. The main issues which the Leader responded to were in relation to:-
· North Northallerton Development
· Grants for Hambleton Libraries
(a) Councillor P R Wilkinson, Portfolio Holder for Economic Development and Finance made a statement regarding the Dalton Bridge progress; the Prison site progress; Vibrant Market Towns, Business Support, Graduates and Apprentices and Brexit. Councillor Wilkinson reported that the timetable for the contract for works to be awarded was 24 April. A number of questions were asked relating to the Prison site progress which were responded to at the meeting.
(b) Councillor Mrs B S Fortune, Portfolio Holder for Leisure made a statement regarding the Tour de Yorkshire, the Community Awards, Community Safety, the Hambleton Leisure Centre Health and Fitness project, running initiatives and fitness classes. Councillor Mrs Fortune reported that she had recently attended an event at the Bedale Riding for the Disabled Group and that Princess Anne was present. Councillor Fortune was pleased to report that fundraising undertaken by staff from the Council had helped raise a further £200 which had been presented to the Group.
(c) Councillor N Knapton, Portfolio Holder for Governance made a statement regarding ICT, Customer Services, parking, Design and Maintenance and Electoral Services.
(d) Councillor B Phillips, Portfolio Holder for Planning made a statement regarding the Local Plan, housing and Development Management.
(e) Councillor S Watson, Portfolio Holder for Environmental Health, Waste and Recycling made a statement regarding Green Waste charging, dog fouling, community litter picking, recycling contamination, Environmental Health and energy repayment loans. Councillor Watson reported that the take-up for the green waste collections was currently 47.58% and that further subscriptions were expected during the months of April and May. Councillor Watson also wished to give thanks to the staff and Members who had attended the community litter picking events. A number of questions were asked relating to Green Waste Charging, Community Litter Picking, Dog Fouling and Recycling Contamination which were responded to at the meeting.