Venue: Main Committee Room, Civic Centre, Stone Cross, Northallerton
Contact: Louise Hancock 01609 767015
Election of Chairman
That Councillor Mrs B S Fortune be elected Chairman for duration of the meeting.
(Councillor Mrs B S Fortune in the Chair)
Exclusion of the Press and Public
To consider passing a resolution under Section 100A(4) of the Local Government Act 1972 excluding the press and public from the meeting during consideration of item 4 on the grounds that it involves the likely disclosure of exempt information as defined in paragraph 1 of Part 1 of Schedule 12A to the Act.
The Panel considered whether, pursuant to Section 100A(4) of the Local Government Act 1972, the press and public should be excluded from the meeting during consideration of the items of business at minute no SHP.25 on the grounds that it involved the likely disclosure of exempt information as defined in paragraph 1 of Part 1 of Schedule 12A of the Act.
The complainant informed the Panel that he wanted the hearing to take place in public and consented to the publication of any personal information connected with the report of the Director of Corporate Services and the hearing before the Panel.
In the circumstances the Panel did not exclude the press and public from the meeting.
Complaint about the Revenues Team
Report of the Director of Corporate Services.
The subject of the decision:
The Director of Corporate Services submitted a covering report regarding a complaint about the actions of the District Council’s Revenue’s Team in connection with the content of Council Tax bills.
The Panel heard from the complainant who had made the allegations and the District Council’s Director of Resources and S.151 Officer.
Alternative options considered:
The reason for the decision:
Having considered the Director of Corporate Services’ report and the accompanying documents, and having heard oral representations from the complainant and the Director of Resources and S.151 Officer, the Panel made the following findings:-
· the council tax bill and the leaflet containing supporting information were sent to the complainant in the same envelope;
· the leaflet contained the required information advising the complainant of the right to request payment of council tax in 12 monthly instalments;
· although the council tax demand notice must contain certain matters, it was not necessary for it to be on one sheet of paper;
· this was essentially a practical matter and anyone reading the council tax bill and accompanying leaflet would have been given sufficient information about the right to request the repayment of council tax in 12 monthly instalments;
· the council tax bill and leaflet clearly emanated from the same source (the District Council), and in the same tax year, and related to the same subject.
That the council tax bill and leaflet constitute one demand notice and thus comply with the relevant regulations.
The appeal is, therefore, dismissed.