Venue: Main Committee Room, Civic Centre, Stone Cross, Rotary Way, Northallerton, DL6 2UU
Contact: Democratic Services Officer 01609 767015
To confirm the minutes of the meeting held on 21 November 2019 (SC.18 - SC.21), previously circulated.
That the minutes of the meeting of the Committee held on 21 November 2019 (SC.18 - SC.21), previously circulated, be signed as a correct record.
Report of the Chairman
The Chairman of the Committee presented a copy of the draft final report on the Policy Review on Recycling, for consideration by the Committee prior to submission to Cabinet in February 2020. The Committee made minor amendments to the report and recommendations therein. The Committee agreed to recommend to Cabinet the report, as amended, and that this be submitted to the meeting in February 2020.
That it be recommended to Cabinet that:-
(1) the current policies, namely the Waste Management Strategy 2016-25 and the Waste and Recycling Collection Policy April 2016 (revised in June 2018) remain fit for purpose and are achieving their objectives;
(2) it be noted that the Council operates a very successful recycling scheme and that the residents of the District are proactively engaging with the Council’s processes;
(3) should any progress be made on the inclusion of other non-recyclates such as plastic bags, food waste, black plastic trays, etc, this be monitored and the Council’s processes developed as necessary to take account of these changes;
(4) promotion, publicity and education is an area that warranted continued monitoring and development, where opportunities arose, such as educational visits within schools and the circulation of publicity material within community sectors; and
(5) the information contained on the Council’s website, associated recycling literature and other media, be reviewed to ascertain whether the information could be simplified to assist residents to better understand the recycling scheme.